H.M.S Illustrious aircraft carrier facts
- Tyne-built at Swan Hunter in 1982 the aircraft carrier H.M.S Illustrious.
- Weight 20,000 tonnes.
- Air capability. Sea Harrier fighters and Sea King anti-submarine
- Generators produce 14 megawatts of electricity.
- 360 tons of fresh water produced per day.
- Four Rolls Royce Olympus engines produce 100,000 brake horsepower.
- Can care for 1000 men and women per day.
- Fully equipped operating theatre with anaesthetist and surgeon included
dentist, paramedics and nursing staff.
- The two main galleys and ships bakery provide more than a thousand
meals a day.
- She has her own fire brigade, physical training staff and postman.