Park Hotel Tynemouth

In January, 1938, Tynemouth Council approved a new hotel on the Grand Parade. The designs were by John R Wallace, of Whitley Bay, whose office was at Northumberland Square, North Shields. There were many detail changes between the original artist's impression and the Park Hotel which was advertised to open on July 1 1939. The most obvious were another bay on the north side and an additional storey. It was intended to be the most modern of hotels, with a continental appearance. Bowling greens and a garage block were promised in the future. Originally there were 30 rooms and two lavender suites. The wood panelling and cream and ivory interiors were the choice of F C Davidson, of Tynemouth. The building was declared to be an artistic advertisement to a successful firm. The contractor was Hastie D Burton. Other local firms involved included T D Stewart, fireplaces  Bambridge & Son, bedrooms Joseph Hill & Co glazing Joseph Hogg, decorating  Lon Moralee, plumbing  and S R Gladston, hardware. Two bombs went off at Tynemouth Park in October, 1940. A bomb landed on the railway behind the hotel in April, 1941, but failed to explode, as did another in August 1942. The kitchens were rebuilt in the summer of 1957 and in October of 1965, £100,000 extensions were opened.